Monday 2 April 2012

Rugby Fans, Rainy Days, Mythical Creatures

And we're right back where we started, at the beginning of another week. At least it's going to be a short one (gotta love public holidays).

With the weekend at my back, my three thinks for today are:

Rugby Fans - I don't get them. Now now, settle down, I didn't insult you, I just mentioned the group as a whole. Not that I don't get the sport, I think it's great and many of my friends are married to players, or players themselves. I think sport in general is a wonderful thing. However, I have a slight problem with it when it becomes a religion. In South Africa, there is a definitive rugby culture, especially under Afrikaans people. Once again, that's fine, but when you see a video of a 4-year old bawling his eyes out and telling his mum he no longer wants to live because his team lost - now that's scary. And it's like they don't grow out of it. Which part of the word 'spectator' do these guys not understand? You have grown men running afield and tackling referees, or throwing players of the opposing team with bottles. It's disgusting and it teaches bad sportmanship. Sport is fun to watch and there is a real sense of camaraderie between fans of the same team, but must you really paint your car in the team colours and name your child after a player? Yes, I know, I don't get it. Yes, I know, wait til you educate me. Yes, I know, I just haven't felt the rush of the game yet. I know. Like I said, I'm not against the sport, but I am against the manic depression that fans go into when their team loses, and the wailing high they get when they win. Isn't it exhausting? Because today the Pink Ladies won, but next week they'll lose against the T-Birds, who in turn will suffer at the hands of the Scorpions in a month's time. One minute you're on top, the next you're left trampled in the mud. And no team ever remains unbeaten. Some or other time, you're going to set yourself up for disappointment. Please enjoy the sport, please get excited - I do too - but unless you are a player, a coach, a sponsor or a commentator, remember that it is not your entire life. Now go blow off some steam.


Rainy Days - Aren't they brilliant? It's the perfect excuse to not do the washing, not go into town and not give a damn. You're free to lounge about in your pj's all day and watch one series after the next on your laptop. Junk food is at the top of the menu, and you don't even feel guilty about it. A rainy morning is like a free pass to be as absolutely useless as you possibly can - no consequence. Except when you're at work. Which I am.

Mythical Creatures - Dragons. Werewolves. Mermaids. Elves. Orcs. Urgals. Trolls. Dwarves. Werecats. Unicorns. Nymphs. Banshees. Centaurs. Fawns. Krakens. Hobbits. Fairies. Minotaurs. Monsters. Giants. Deities. Sirens. Wraiths. Pegasus'. Gargoyles. And Bigfoot. Don't tell me you don't find at least one of them interesting.

Not too much on my mind, seems like. Get swept up (not swept away), live in your imagination every once in a while and enjoy those pyjama days (except at the office - it's frowned upon).

No comments:

Post a Comment