Friday 30 March 2012

Man Movies, Mindless Intertainment, That Koppie

It's officially weekend (OK, it's 12:00, but still)!

With that in mind, my three thinks for today are:

Man Movies: OK, I'll admit, I enjoy them. We went to see the new Mark Wahlberg flim, Contraband, last night and I completely loved it. It had suspense and a lolt of twists and the action was great. I'm a sucker for war movies, too. Not the Saving Private Ryan type, but Troy and Gladiator and Braveheart and The Lord of the Rings. I cannot get enough of swordfights and battle tactics. I can watch the scene where Achilles kills Hector over and over again (besides from the Brad Pitt factor). It must be my love of fantasy and history combined, because all my girlfriends yawn and fastforward through those parts. My favourite Man Movie Moments of All Time are:
- Where Danny Archer explains the term TIA (This Is Africa) to the journalist in Blood Diamond
- Where Maximus says "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next" in Gladiator.
- Where Strider jumps off the boat with a smug smile and starts running toward the orcs, a ghost army appearing behind him in The Return of the King.
- The final scene in Ocean's Eleven where they're standing at the fountain as rich men.
I could go on, but I think you get the picture. I'm all for bombs and wars and great kings. I watch them as I paint my toenails.


Mindless Internet Entertainment- Don't act like you've never fallen for it. You start off by looking for a university course you're interested in taking, and you end up watching people falling off swings. There's just too much dumb stuff to keep you busy. And clicking on one thing, leads to clicking on another. While downloading a game, you notice a quiz and after finishing that you post the results on facebook, only to see the link to a video of a duck blowing bubbles. You cannot escape it. So just give in to it and let the hours pass freely. Here's a link to a cute website with mindless games to start you off:

Mindless Intertainment

That Koppie - Firstly, a "koppie" is the Afrikaans word for a small hill that is made up of rocks and boulders. We have many of them in the bushveld and they're great for picnics and watching game. There's one koppie, though, that I cannot get out of my head. My hubby's family has a farm on the border of SA and Zimbabwe. This farm is so close to my heart (for various reasons) and I'm actually getting emotional as I'm writing this, so I'll try to cut it short. Part of the farm crosses over no-man's land into Zim, and just across the border, there's a koppie that looks over the Limpopo river. I remember the first time that I climbed up to it. We arrived late in the afternoon and the sun was just setting. When I got up there, the red African sun was at my back and the shallow river was gleaming orange in the light. The wind died and the smell of dust and roots was rising up from the ground. It was completely silent, except for the sound of a hippo grunting somewhere upriver. There, in that moment, I felt utterly at peace. It's the place I go to in my head whenever things get too hectic for me. My heart calls out for that koppie. The farm is inaccessible to us right now (let's not go into it), but I know I will go back there someday. Someday.

Once again, thanks for reading my blog. I'm getting messages and feedback, and it's great!

Don't be ashamed of watching Man Movies or Chick Flicks, forgive yourself for spending so much time on the internet and regularly escape to your happy place. Life's too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment