Wednesday 14 March 2012

Communities, Stokies, Wednesdays

And it is officially Day 2 in the existence of my blog. Thanks to everyone who has read it already! It's such a blessing to have so much support. It means a little more pressure, though, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...

So let's get right to it. My "three thinks" for today are:

Community - We recently moved out of the city to a small(ish) town with a strong farming community. This means that we are on the road for roughly 3 hours everyday, driving to and from work (which is still in the city). Best decision we could make. I prefer peace and quiet, and the odd sound of a tractor, to taxi's hooting and businessmen shouting profanities at each other from their Audi's. The driving does start getting to you, though. We need to leave the house at around 05:20 in the mornings and we only get home after 18:00. But last night, I finally decided it was worth it.
I was buying toothpaste and a milktart from the local grocer after work. The store was packed and I was looking for the shortest queue. I fell in behind a lady who looked me up and down, then smiled at me. She asked me if I would like to pay before her, as I looked like I was in a hurry. She only had a bread with her, and then proceeded to act like she was carefully choosing a magazine to take up some time. I quickly cut in and thanked her afterwards, wishing her a good night of reading. That would never happen in the city. I was so surprised to find a person who was willing to put someone else before themselves - if only for 2 minutes. Small encounter, big effect. It is the first time since we moved that I have felt part of the community.

Stokies - I love my stokies. If you don't know, "stokies" are a style of house slippers - they are made from a type of towel material with a thick rubber sole. I have had mine for close on 6 years now and they are still as tough as the day I bought them. I would know, as I've put them to the test. My stokies have gone everywhere with me - from hiking through the Okavango Delta to climbing trees (long story). One of the best investments I have ever made. I realise it may sound weird, but I am strangely attached to them and look upon them lovingly. Tough little things. Maybe I'll write an ode to them.


Wednesdays - Yay! It's almost weekend! In Afrikaans we call this day "Klein Saterdag" (mini Saturday). To me, Wednesdays give you license to be a little more lazy than you were on Monday. It's the day when the week hits a peak - from there it's smooth sailing to Friday. You can relax just a tiny bit. Only problem is, my body latches on to this idea and it becomes increasingly difficult to convince it that it needs to get up, walk, and WORK. My body goes into complete protest mode: my eyes refuse to open and my feet seem to stick to my bedroom carpet, making me drag them across the room. I feel all ashamed and disappointed in myself for having such bad work ethic - but then I remember it's Wednesday and I cut myself even more slack. A vicious circle, really.

So that's what's on my mind today. Yes, it is very deep and profound, I know. To end off my second ever post, I wish to take the corny route: Buy yourself a pair of stokies at your local store and cut yourself some slack - it's Wednesday, after all.

2 comments:

  1. I love stokies... CANNOT GET THEM IN IRELAND..the one thing I miss so much about South Africa. Great blog by the way.

    Debi
    Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! If I ever move out of SA, I'll be sure to buy six extra pairs, just to be safe ;)

    ReplyDelete