Thursday 15 March 2012

Noisy Eaters, Holidays, Nail Polish

Yesterday I talked about Wednesdays, and how it became ever more difficult to get out of bed and shuffle along to work when you knew how close the weekend is. Today, to make it even worse, it's raining steadily and it's nice and dark outside. My eyes seem to be closing of their own accord...

Before I fall asleep, though, my three thinks for today:

People eating - I cannot stand to hear someone eat. I know it's unavoidable to crunch away every now and then, but please don't do it where I can hear you. I can feel the most terrible anger building up in me if someone smacks their lips, clean their teeth with their tongue or talk with food in their mouths, making their voices sound all thick and gross. Strange peeve, I know, but come on! Sofistication! Just saying.

Holidays - My husband and I are currently in a fiery dispute over where we would like to go for our December holiday. This always happens around this time of year. We start throwing ideas around, decide on something, then change our minds again in May. We make a new choice, only to have ourselves bowled over by some fantastically different idea in August. After that, we change our minds roughly three or four times again before we finally make a belated decision in November. By this time we need to work miracles to manage a booking or two, but we usually end up somewhere unexpected and amazing. This suits us and I love it.
That said, December holidays are probably the trips that we plan out the most. We break away often during the rest of the year and the ideas often pop up over dinner with friends. Most of them start fidgeting nervously when they listen to us spontaneously suggest a holiday. They have to look at their schedules. They're not sure if they would be allowed off work. A week is not enough time to plan something like this. They just might be busy. Personally, I don't get it. Either you want to go, or you don't. If you want to, you'll make a plan.
Yes, I do understand that not everyone functions in the same way. We are the exception in this - it doesn't take much to convince us to drive for 16 hours to Zambia. Normally, we tell ourselves that it is, in fact, necessary. Most people need to wrap their heads around an idea first. That's fine, I can respect it completely.
I do, however, think that a little spontaneity goes a long way. Our best trips have been spontaneous. Once, we had to sleep outside in the open on a salt pan in Botswana, for lack of making a booking anywhere. Another time, my husband, his best friend and I decided to go camping - at 20:00 on a Thursday night. So we got in the car and drove for 6 hours to the Kruger National Park. We toured down through the park for a week - which is fine and all, except for the fact that we forgot to pack EVERYTHING. Between the three of us we had a tent, one dixie, one firebucket, a machete and a pocket knife. No cutlery, no plates, no chairs, no pillows and no extra clothes. We did, however, have 15 bundles of wood.
It sounds crazy, I know, but I cannot think of anything better. As a woman, I do enjoy a soft bed and the luxury of washing my hair, but you still cannot beat a campfire and hyenas laughing somewhere nearby. Especially if you did not plan on being there a few hours ago.


Nail polish - My toes have not been colour-free since 1998 when I was 10. I discovered the secret to pretty feet early on and I have been hooked since. I try to keep my fingernails manicured and stylish, but alow myself the odd crazy toe. Our fridge is stacked with tiny bottles of every comprehensible colour - from black and bronze to lilac and neon blue. At school, where uniforms are compulsory in SA, my bright red toenails were my silent rebellion, my little flags of protest. In my opinion, one of the very best inventions in the history of womankind. Speaking of which, I just spied a bottle of glittery pink polish I had almost forgotten about. Mmmm....

Right, time to pry my eyelids open. Now paint those toes and stick it to the Man!

PS Thank you, Wolf and Pees - there are no limits when you two are around.

2 comments:

  1. I have something on my mind concerning the spontaneous trips you wrote about...yesterday I was in a bar and there was a guy. He must be around 25 years old and he told me that he NEVER made it out of Germany, his home country...I was shocked...serously shocked! And Germany is really not that big that you could not reach a border in any direction in a few hours...it doesn't matter where you go, don't think so much, just go SOMEWHERE and enjoy it! Please keep your spontaneity and spirit of enterprise! It's wonderful. I still cannot believe what I heard yesterday...sad thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ligeia,
    Thanks for your comment! I left you a message in the latest post (19/03/12). Keep commenting!

    ReplyDelete