Monday 19 March 2012

Waiters, Human Spirit, Girls' Night

Coffee? Check. Rusks? Check.  Comfy chair? Check. And we’re off.
First of all, thanks to everyone who has read, and commented on, my blog. I am enjoying this so much! I will always try to answer all comments, either by commenting back or leaving a personal message within a next post. So keep ‘em coming!
Speaking of which...
Ligeia, thanks for your comment on travel and spontaneity! I agree with you completely. The very thought of staying in one place my entire life makes me gasp for air! Keep your spirit and always look for the next challenge! The part on human spirit below is specially for you...

Now, let’s get right to it. My three thinks for today are:

Waiters – My moaning session for the week. We went to a somewhat famous restaurant just outside of town yesterday. We have heard only good things about this farm style, family orientated, historic eatery, so we decided to give it a go. On arrival, we met head-on with complete chaos: kids running everywhere, dogs begging at tables, people pushing their mountain bikes between patrons and a goose screaming at a car guard. The poor manager was running in circles, shouting orders to non-responsive waiters and trying to seem calm and friendly in front of customers, though she was shaking and her hair was plastered to her head. After standing around for half an hour, we were finally seated. Then nothing. No menu arrived and the waiters acted like they couldn’t see us when we waved to get their attention. From what we could see, there were only about 5 waiters between about 150 people. About 20 minutes went by before my husband got up to fetch a menu, then another half an hour ticked away before a waiter arrived to take our order. I asked him which flavours of fruit juice they had available, then told him my choice. He took my husband’s order, and then asked me if I wanted nothing to drink. My mouth fell open. I had just had an entire conversation with the dude about fruit juice. Blacked out? I don’t know. Point is, it all went sour from there.  We were fine with everything, though it hadn’t been great, up to that point. That was just too much. Looking at me with this bored expression, giving me options and then not listening when I made my choice. Oi. Waiters really can make or break a place. I don’t think we’ll be going back.

Girls' Night - So I find myself alone at home every now and then. Tonight is going to be one of those nights. I'm kind of excited, though... I plan on working on my book for a bit, eating something simple, and then collapsing in front of the TV to watch something really soppy like Becoming Jane or Love Actually. After this I will probably miss my hubby too much and wish that I was NOT alone at home. Can't live with them...
Human Spirit - A friend of mine did a 50km run this weekend, and we decided to meet him at the finishing line. It was the first time that I have gone to a race like this as a spectator (not that I've ever gone to one as a participant, either) and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Kids were running across the line with their parents, there was a lively commentator who made everyone laugh, a band was playing in the background... It really was a lot of fun, not what I expected. Just as we were getting up to leave, after attempting a Mexican Wave (apparently not that kind of crowd), I spied this tiny little figure coming up the track. He was keeping a fast, steady pace, head held high, barely even sweating - and he was 82 years old. I could not believe my eyes. He was jogging across the line like it was nothing, as if he had not just run 50km under an African sun. I became all emotional then, and I'm getting all teary all over again as I'm writing this. That man, whoever he is, has really inspired me. If he can do it at 82, well so can I. Time to stop making excuses.


And that was me for today. So go on and grab hold of that opportunity and miss those you love with all your heart.

PS if your waiter is bad, just smile and don't go there again. Being rude only puts you at his mercy... (Yikes).


No comments:

Post a Comment